OUR TOWN CANTILAN
There are two tales of how Cantilan got its name. According to the first version, Cantilan, originally known as “Can Tilang” derived its name from Tilang, an empty sea shell of a “tekyobo.” The second version said that the place was named after a woman named Tilang. Of the two versions however, the first one is more popular.
In 1806, Fray Miguel de los Arcos completed the construction of the “Cota” better known as Baluarte de Señor San Miguel. There were five recorded attacks of the Moros in Cantilan but each intended depredation was foiled because of fortification. The natives used different warning tools such as tambuli, church bells and others. The “Cota” was installed with swivelguns and cannons ready for Moro attacks. Natives believed that they were being protected by the Patron Saint San Nicolas de Tolentino whose icon was believed to disappear from its place in church altar every time Moro raid occurred.
In 1856 the people did not have any portent that a disaster would befall them and their town. They would not be bothered by the cumulus clouds as these were accepted as natural signs of “Amihan”. Because they did not interpret these signs as warnings for intending calamity, they slept soundly at night. But in the evening of October 14, 1856, a hurricane from the north which turned over east and south increased to an intensity that tidal waves changed the whole town into a sea. The result of this catastrophe was that with the exception of strong house and two “camarines” every thing was swept away. On October 16, 1856, Cantilan became a wasteland but not obliterated from the memories of the people.
Then the survivors crossed the Cantilan river to the northeast and northwest forming the present districts of Linintian and Magosilom of the modern Cantilan.
One very important event in Philippine history happened in Cantilan during the formation of the revolutionary government of General Emilio Aguinaldo, when Cantilan declared a neutral government on Feb. 10, 1899. With the arrival of the Gonzales brothers, this produced a human drama of tears and blood which Cantilan shared. It also shared the ephemeral glory of the Philippine Revolution when the Filipino Flag was hoisted at the town tribunal.
Modern Cantilan is known as “Cradle of Towns” . The mother town of Carrascal, Madrid, Carmen and Lanuza, Cantilan prides itself with the so-called “Cantilan Spirit”, which is “nothing is impossible in Cantilan.”
Reposted form kantilang.i.ph
In Celebration of the Philippine Centennial 1898-1998
Tandag – The First Capital of Caraga
Photo by: Ed Hotchkiss